Athletic Placement Process (APP)
The Athletic Department has adopted a NYS approved process for screening students to determine their readiness to compete in interscholastic athletic competition by evaluating their physical maturity, fitness, and skill.
The process is designed for mature and exceptionally skilled students to advance to an upper level. It is not designed to fill positions on teams, provide additional experience, provide a place for middle school students when no modified program is offered, or as a reward for students.
- The head coach will contact the Athletic Director to discuss possible students.
- Permission letter will be sent to parents authorizing their child to be tested. Parent/Guardian signature is required and a physical form which must be filled out by a district approved physician. Please return the completed form to the Athletic Office ASAP.
- Coaches will fill out a skill evaluation to help determine appropriate level for the athlete.
- Students must attain certain physical fitness levels as stipulated by NYSPHSAA. Passing both the fitness exam and the physical exam does not guarantee a roster position, but only the opportunity to try out for a JV or Varsity sport.
- After successful completion of all requirements, the decision will be made by the coach and athletic director to determine if the athlete will move up.
If your child will be entering a mandated grade in the fall, you are required to provide the district with a copy of a physical exam within 30 days of the start of the school year. This physical cannot be any more than 12 months old.
If your child plans to play a sport, this exam will serve as a sport’s physical too.
The Physical Exam Form should be completed by the student’s family physician, physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner.
Your child’s physical can be faxed to the school, attention Nurse, at (315) 543-2360 or mailed to the School Nurse:
Harrisville Central School
14371 Pirate Lane
Harrisville, NY 13648
Call (315) 543-2592 or email Kelly Abalone, School Nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New York State schools are mandated by the Commissioner of Education to require each student enrolled in a public school to have a satisfactory health examination conducted by the student’s family physician, physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner upon the student’s entrance into Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten and grades 2, 4, 7, and 10.
Athletic Director & Middle/High School Principal